Not caring if I sound bitter, here are the top ten reasons why my weekend sucked:
1. High temperature --Friday started out with Jakey having a high temperature. At 2 AM he woke up crying and when I went in to check on him, he still had a temp of 101.5 (even with Motrin) so I called and made an appointment for Saturday morning.
2. Ear infection -- Saturday morning's doctor appt revealed an ear infection. He started antibiotics that day.
3. Seizure -- Saturday evening rolled around and this is when the fun began. David was holding Jakey (he wouldn't let us put him down all weekend, David and I traded off) and said he felt really hot. We checked his temp and it was 103.8 degrees. Wow! Jake was really lethargic and didn't look right. Soon after we checked his temp he started having a seizure. I called 911 right away.
4. ER (not Children's Hospital) -- the ER doc came in without even examining Jakey and said "IV, spinal tap, chest x-ray, CT scan..." I talked her down to a chest x-ray and a blood work up. Both came back clear. Several attempts were made to draw an IV line but Jake's veins wouldn't cooperate. Finally I said "stop" and they backed off. They also gave him a breathing treatment and tried to give him a yucky medicine that just made him gag. He ended up throwing up all over me. People kept coming in and out of the room trying to do things to him and Jakey was pissed! He just wanted to sleep. They also gave him a suppository of Tylenol which wasn't fun, but it did bring his temp down. Finally, they concluded that Jake had a febrile (fever induced) seizure and let us go home.
5. Stupid doctor -- Sunday we took Jake in for a follow up at after hours pediatric care and the stupid doc there hardly examined him and said he was fine (well, other than having something viral going on). Nothing much more to do besides antibiotics and trying to keep his temp down. She then proceeded to say that he might have another "febrile" seizure and that we wouldn't need to come to the ER unless the seizure carried on for more than 15 minutes or if he stopped breathing...duh! Sorry lady, I WILL call 911 if this happens again. I won't wait a minute before I do either!
6. Wisdom tooth -- Monday David's jaw hurt so much that he made an emergency visit to a dentist. I wonder how long he was in pain before he couldn't take it anymore because he never said a word with all the stuff going on with Jake. Turns out, he has an infection under one of his wisdom teeth and needs it taken out. THAT doctor only gave him 3 pain pills.
7. Teething -- Jake is so fussy -- a part from the sickness. He keeps sticking his fingers in his mouth and is drooling buckets. He is long overdue for more teeth so I think this could be it.
8. Vomit --lots of it. Monday night (yesterday) I thought the worst was over with Jake until DANIEL starting throwing chunks. He threw up 7 times between 5 PM and 10:00 PM. Poor guy, he had nothing left in him. Turns out HE has an ear infection and most likely a sinus infection too.
9. Haven't slept in my bed since Friday night. On the couch next to Daniel one night (we moved him into the playroom) and on the floor next to Jake's crib the other nights. I AM sleeping in my own bed tonight or I won't survive another day.
10. The house is an abominable mess and I haven't been able to do anything about it.
So that's about it. To top it off it WAS a 3 day weekend with 80 degree weather outside and we had plans to enjoy it. So much for that.
Here is a picture that reflects a little bit of our weekend.
And he wasn't playing with Roomba either. Just waiting for me to give him a glass of water.
1 month ago